T: +61 3 9605 0999
F: +61 3 9605 0933
Martin leads the Private Advisory Team nationally, and is one of five equity Partners that sit on the Mills Oakley board.
He specialises in advising the owners of private and family businesses, and
has a particular interest in business ownership succession, mergers and acquisitions, inter-generational wealth transfer, business structures, co-ownership issues, joint ventures, and asset protection.
Martin has advised clients in a wide variety of industries, including financial services, manufacturing, hospitality, transport, construction, agriculture, and technology.
Martin originally trained with a niche corporate practice in the United Kingdom, before moving to Australia to join Blake Dawson (now Ashurst Australia) in 2000.
T: +61 3 9605 0834
F: +61 3 9605 0933
Edward is a special counsel in our Private Advisory team in Melbourne. Edward has particular expertise in relation to the succession problems faced by high net worth individuals and private business owners, including issues relating to control of entities, a fair and equitable division of wealth, and resolving disputes between family members.
The focus of his practice is providing practical legal advice to clients in respect of:
- Estate planning, including complex testamentary trust Wills;
- Estate litigation, including claims for further provision from Estates, disputes concerning the validity of Wills and applications to have executors and trustees replaced;
- Estate administration (probate & letters of administration);
- Superannuation planning, including advising in relation to the payment of superannuation death benefits as well as succession issues in relation to the control of self-managed funds;
- Superannuation litigation, including challenging the decisions of externally managed funds in relation to the recipients of superannuation death benefits as well as applications to replace trustees and directors of corporate trustees of self-managed funds;
- Structuring (asset protection, tax & trusts); and
- Trust litigation, including applications to replace appointors and trustees of trusts and directors of corporate trustees.
Edward brings a collaborative approach to solving client problems, often with other lawyers and in conjunction with the client’s accountant and financial adviser. He works closely with the succession, tax and commercial experts in the Private Advisory team as well as, in particular, the Litigation and Family Law teams. Many clients have interests in various States and the firm’s national reach enables Edward to advise clients in various cities throughout Australia.
Edward also writes for professional publications and presents seminars for clients, lawyers and other professionals on the subject of how to structure estate and business succession plans to avoid disputes and protect assets for future generations.